Useful Numbers

Abandoned shopping carts:

Metro: 905-523-5044.

Fortino’s (Rifle Range store): 905-308-9045, press 0.

Animals injured or in distress: 905-574-3433, press 2

Assessments: Municipal Property Assessment Corporation, Hamilton, 1-866-296-6722

Barking dogs: 905-546-CITY (2489)*; after hours: 905-574-3433

Building permits: If in doubt about a building permit for a renovation site, contact Councillor Aidan Johnson, 905-546-2416 or; if there is no permit, file a complaint with him and copy his assistant, Nikola Wojewoda-Patti,

City Hall: 905-546-CITY (2489)*; if you know the extension, call 905-546-2424


To find out if a contractor is licensed: 905-546-2782 and press 3 for licensing. For concerns about contractors’ activities: Building Services Division at 905-546-3950 or or

Other helpful resources: Ontario Renovators’ Council (Ontario Home Builders’ Association) for a consumers’ guide to the Standard Renovations Contract at 1-800-387-0109 or; the Better Business Bureau at; Consumer Protection (Ontario) a

Councillor Aidan Johnson: 905-546-2416 or

Crime Stoppers (to report a crime anonymously): 1-800-222-8477*

Fire: Prevention Division (complaints, information, inquiries): 905-546-2424, ext. 1380; Alarm Room/Dispatch (illegal fireworks, backyard fires): 546-3333* (choose option 5 from the six offered)

Garbage, waste management: 905-546-CITY (2489)*

Graffiti: In progress: 911*; on city property (including street signs) or private property: 905-546-CITY (2489) or

McMaster University, Office of Public Relations, community help line: 905-525-9140, ext. 27305

Noise infractions: For noise in progress call police at 905-546-4925* or the city’s municipal law-enforcement department

at 905-546-2782, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; after hours, 905-546-CITY (2489)

Parking infractions: 905-540-6000* (you need to call while the vehicle is in violation for the vehicle to be ticketed)

Park permits: 905-546-2424, ext. 4270


To report a non-emergency incident: 905-546-4925*; a person will answer after the taped message (press 0 to skip the message). If you have further inquiries about the West Town area after your report has been made, the crime manager, Amanda Gill, welcomes email ( or phone calls (905-540-5093)

If you need further assistance: police reception desk, 905-546-4771*

Property-standards infractions (dwellings, structures, garbage, and grass, and yards):

Contact Municipal Law Enforcement at 546-2782 during business hours or email    You may also Councillor Aidan Johnson, 905-546-2416, or email and copy his assistant, Nikola Wojewoda-Patti,

An alternative is to get in touch with the McMaster Student Union’s Student Community Support Network (SCSN) at  or (905) 525-9140 x27618.  The SCSN Peer-to-Peer programme can send trained McMaster student volunteers to visit residents and help them understand the expectations of living as a household in residential community.


Illegal signs: 905-546-2424, ext. 2782

Street signs missing or damaged, traffic lights not working: 905-546-4376*


*Hours are 24/7